This blog will keep you updated about my exchange (09/10)in Sardegna, Italia:)

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Wow it's already January 16th!

I really can't believe that 4 months have already gone by! It feels really unreal!

Basically everything is normal , and the winter in Italia is horrible! It is so cold, overcast, and it is constantly raining :( iTS quite depressing at times since I come from ARizona, and now I am grateful for the weather there.

Christmas...
So basically in Italy they put up decorations a Christmas tree and a preseppe, which is a little decoration thing where they put little saints, and things, and the day of Christmas they put the baby Jesus.

Christmas was pretty layed back , and similar to a Christmas back home. All of the family on my host's mom side came over, and we ate sooooo much! Except there isnt the traditional waking up early to open presents thing. So I was really convinced that I could go through the day with a single tear, but I cried. It was just hard to realize that I was away from my family on Christmas day, but then I riposed myself!

New Year's I went out to see a movie with some friends and my zia, and saw some fireworks.

January 6th is the Befana in Italia. The befana is a witch that comes to give the little children candy. My crazy host mom dressed up as the Befana and went around my town giving candy to the little kids.

Today is the day of Saint Antonio, wait I dont remember the saints name, but they make big fires here and the celebrate the incoming of CARNEVALE! I really dont even know the main reason for Carnevale, but its like a week or two basically of partying and having fun, not even the italians know why they do it! But it sounds great.

I am picking up the language little by little. I can for the most part get the gist of, what people are saying, and get my point across.

Basically all of the AFS students have hit the bottom of the diagram that we were shown..... the main reason for this is that the weather is horrible, and there isnt the hype for christmas. During these months most of the teenagers stay at home and study , because the weather is horrible!

No comments:

Post a Comment